Wednesday, March 3, 2010

It was the first week of school in a new town, located by a polluted stream in the little town of Oberon. There was a homeless girl, they called her Charity. Which was Latin for love. Something that she needed a lot of. You're probably wondering what this has to do with me, right? Well, I'm Marco. I can't tell you my relation to Charity, not until you hear the whole story first.

I was new to the small polluted town. That’s how I was able to meet Charity, since she went to the school. She always seemed quiet, and talked to no one. Almost like no one could see her either. I thought nothing of it though, maybe she was just one of those girls who doesn’t fit in. Plus where do I have the right to judge her, we just met. It was very interesting we had every class together, almost like how it used to be in middle school. Well with different periods but never different people in the class. Just sort of followed each other to the next class, but not by choice.

Its really sort of weird now that I think about it, I don't know much about Charity. Well I didn't then, but I did eventually. She’s a very shy girl after all. Small and quiet, pure and innocent. She was really pretty too. Surprised no one notices her but me.

I'm getting ahead of myself now. I need to tell you my story before hers. Just a week before I moved to Oberon, I used to live with my parents in Ashley. I'm used to small towns, what can I say? Anyway the reason we left Ashley was because one of my relatives had just passed away. We needed to get away, and hopefully handle it better in a different town. The relative that had just passed was my Grandmother, she believed in spirits and stuff. She even got me to believe a little. She thought that after someone dies, that their spirit comes back and helps someone in the world. No matter what the problem might be they must help, then they can finally pass on, to the next life.

So it's the second day at my new school. I'm so glad I have Charity around, she helps a lot. Makes it less lonely for me. Some of the other kids in my class are starting to notice me, and are very kind to me. Wish they were to Charity though, It's just like she’s not here or can't be seen.

That day after school I think everyone in the building knows my name, and that there’s a new kid. It's kind of exciting. I was talking to Charity about how weird it is for a school to have a dance on the first week. I'm not a huge fan of dances, but Charity actually seems excited. Which I think is a great thing, I don't usually see her this happy or excited about anything since I've met her.

That's right! You don't know how Charity and I met. Well I just was moving in, unloading boxes off a moving van. Then all of a sudden Charity starts walking up the side walk, she introduces herself and we've been pretty good friends ever since. It may not be the most exciting way to meet a person but hey, it's a special memory for me.

On the third day here I see a girl in the hallway, and boy does she catch my eye. She was so beautiful, all the boys stared. Her name is Lalo, the prettiest girl I have ever seen. Charity encouraged me to go and talk to her, but I couldn't. She didn't know I existed. I couldn't possibly. Though I wish I could. Charity even thinks I should ask her to the dance on Saturday. I'm not sure I could do that.

Sure enough that same day Charity pushed me into Lalo. Who knew that Charity was so persistent into making me ask her. Though I still haven't. Charity yells at me, and tells me to get a move on. Since it's coming up so fast. I don't know what to do. What if Lalo doesn't like me, or I'm not her type. I think she’s way to out of my league. She's pretty, and smart, and way better at everything than I am. Lalo is so perfect. Charity is so lucky she doesn't have anyone she likes or is fond of. No one to get all flustered over. Not that I am or anything, just explaining something. I hope Charity can feel this way for someone too. Someone very special and who will treat her right. Love, that’s the word. Such a small word, but it has a powerful meaning behind it. It's an amazing thing once you've found it, so I've heard anyway.

Charity told me that she was in love once, to a boy named Simon. She said it was love at first sight, and that he also agreed. I wonder what happened to him though. Since this is the first I've heard of him. Now I'm curious, but I don't want to push anything. Seems like he involves some painful memories to her. So I dropped the topic.

The next day at school Charity seemed really persistent this time. Not like last time, but worse. This time though I went along with it, to make it up to her about the topic yesterday. So I went out of my comfort zone and asked Lalo to the dance. Lalo wasn't sure what to think, since I'm new and she doesn't really know me. She still said yes though. Which was lucky on my account. Then all of a sudden I got super nervous, just thinking about Saturday I wanted time to stop. I guess I wasn't ready after all. Charity was very proud of me though, and I like making her happy. She's my best friend after all.

Time got closer to Saturday, and I became even more nervous. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Charity seemed happy, yet sad. I'm not sure why. I can't calm down though. I'm such a little kid, getting all nervous to go to a dance with a girl. At least Charity will be there. So I shouldn't be that nervous.

It went from days away to hours, and now just minutes. My nervousness was getting the better of me. I was pacing, and tapping my fingers. I even started whistling. Which was just odd for me, I can't even whistle. Charity was as calm as can be, but she was quieter than usual too. Then just minutes before the dance, and before I met Lalo; Charity was becoming lighter. Like she was fading away. Which isn't possible. I asked her what was happening. She then explained everything, why no one could see her and why she was disappearing.

Charity explained that she was a spirit, a spirit who was sent back to help someone. Like my Grandmother had told me, sent back to help someone and then they are able to pass on into the next life. I was the one who Charity was helping. Helping me from loneliness, and to find love. Charity tells me why she had picked to help me, because I needed to find love. Charity, the name given to her with a meaning behind it, Love. Which explains to her what she has to do to help someone. To show them love, that comes in many different forms. Charity had finished her job, and was going to the next life. Now was time for good byes, though not forever since this is only one of the lives we can have. When I find her in the next life I'm going to show her love as well. Just as it turns nine Charity fades away.

I run into Lalo then, I'm completely lost in my thoughts now. Finally realizing that I won't get to see Charity anymore, but I'm not alone. I have Lalo, I think the two of us will be good friends in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment